The mansion which dates back to the beginning of 19th century is one of the earliest mansions in Bosporus beach. There has been information which haven’t been able to be documented that it was actually constructed between 1820-1830. The construction has hosted various families during the history. Lastly, it was started to be used by Prof. Dr. Halet Çambel, one of the most significant names of Turkey and her family. Prof. Dr. Halet Çambel and her husband Nail Çakırhan, deemed worthy for Ağa Han Architecture Award lived in this mansion and the couple donated the mansion to Boğaziçi University in 2004.
The construction on a parcel for 7936 m2 running perpendicularly to the sea gradually for 41,5 meters approximately in the direction of East and West has medium sofa planning scheme for 16x16 meters approximately. The construction consisting of ground floor and two ordinary floors was constructed with wood framework method and covered with rip roof covered with wood fringes and Turkish style roof tiles. The construction has the architectural style prevailing in Istanbul at the beginning of 19th century. Apart from the main construction in parcel, there are two stone outbuildings in backyard.
Research rasps, analysis works and archive searches were realized in the field within the scope of the restoration works. The construction was removed from the non-original parts. Strengthening has been realized in main walls and wood framework. Authentic and robust wood facade, furnishing and ceiling covers are protected and the parts required to be replaced are renovated in line with the instructions of the administration. The construction will serve as Archeology and Traditional Architecture Research Center affiliating to Boğaziçi University following the completion of all resotration and conservation works.