Topkapı Palace which was started to be constructed during 1460, following the conquer of Istanbul by Mehmet, the Conqueror in 1453 and finished in 1478 is located on a land for 700.000 square meters in East Roman acropolis in Sarayburnu, the edge of historical Istanbul peninsula between Istanbul Bosporus and Haliç on Sea of Marmara. Following the move of Harem to Yeni Saray (Topkapı Palace) at the last quarter of 16th century, Harem was redesigned and witnessed construction attempts approximately in each period. The part of the Palace seeing Haliç was expanded upon the overcrowding and institutionalization of Harem day by day. Architecture of Harem witnessed radical changes, the parts damaged by earthquakes and fires were reconstructed and Harem reached to the today’s boundaries within centuries because of various restorations and additional constructions in approximately each sultan’s period.

This complex consisting of the locations clustering around the rectangular stony ground was located on the massive stone basement in Harem’s Lower Level and alternate knitting feet covered with tunnel vault constructed integrated on Northwest facade of this level. In Upper Level; III. Selim’s Room, I. Abdülhamid Room, and III. Selim Prayer Room, Mihrişah Sultan’s Room on  Abdülhamid Room; and corridor established on Southwest wing of the stony ground and ensuring the direct connection between Harem and  Osman Pavilion; and III Osman  Pavilion were constructed through the wood framework construction method.

Research and analysis works in the field have been launched within the scope of the restoration works. Archive search have been realized regarding the construction at the same time. The construction will continue to serve as a museum after the restoration and conservation works are completed.

Research rasps, analysis works and archive searches have been realized in the field within the scope of the restoration works. Mother of pearl works, golden lamina works, wood crafting, adornment and hand-drawns have been included within the scope of the works. The construction will continue to serve as an museum after the restoration and conservation works are completed.

  • Location:
    Fatih / İstanbul
  • Date:
    2018 - 2020
  • Administration - Employer:
    TR Ministry of Culture Istanbul Directorate of Surveying and Monuments
  • Category:
    Museums - Cultural Constructions