Yenikapı Mevlevihanesi was constructed to include 18 dervish cells by Malkoç Mehmet Efendi, chief khalife of Guild of Janissaries in 1598. It is of great importance for Yenikapı Mevlevihanesi in terms of culture history because it provided education for various famous names like İsmail Dede Efendi, Şeyh Galip and Itri. It was an establishment supporting Ottoman Modernization in Tanzimat. Going through various fires, Yenikapı Mevlevihanesi was repaired by Architect Kemaleddin in 1910 upon the order of Sultan Reşat following the fire in 1903. Dervish lodge was constructed in neoclassical style and minaret was added in this repair. The construction cluster used with different purposes following the close of the lodges and small Islamic monasteries had been used as a storage belonging to the foundations until the fire of 1997.
It is one of the best examples of the Grup named as “Asitane” in Lodge architecture. The construction Grup consists of three separate parts on an area for 7000 m2. Library, mausoleum, muvakkithane and other parts different than the public fountain, which were mansory constructions were constructed in different materials and styles. Semahane, mausoleum and harem were wood framework constructions constructed on stone wall foundations.
Expropriation and road adjustments were realized around Mevlevihane within the scope of the restoration works. Conservation and improvement of selamlık, library and muvakkithane which were in a devastated situation were realized. Reconstruction of semahane, mausoleum, şerbethane, harem pavilion and public fountain which were fired and of which foundations were available was realized in compliance with their original method and material. Garden walls of the special part within the parcel were cleaned and deficiencies were completed. The construction Grup of which restoration was completed in 2009 serves as Fatih Sultan Mehmet Foundation University’s Alliance of Civilizations Institute.